My Big Stupid Traffic Tragedy - Why Facebook Ads Isn't The Magic Pill It's Hyped Up To Be

Traffic building
Traffic building
True story -
I had a really rough start in marketing because I listened to all the online hype about Facebook Ads and their magic.
In fact, my first campaign for a paying client was a total disaster because of it.
So here's what happened -
I was contacted by a local ad agency that did this project for a professional school that was desperately looking to get more applications for the next year.
They wanted me to do the online campaign while they took care of the offline stuff.
I was a totally sticky-wet newbie, and of all the dumb mistakes I did in that campaign, the one that hurts me thinking about (because that's what down-right created the failure and cost me the most time) was...
I Didn't Do Enough Market Research
As many newbies think, I thought back then that enough traffic can solve any problem and that everyone's on Facebook, so you can never go wrong with Facebook ads.
Boy did I get a cold hard slap-in-the-face of reality...
I tested so many thoughts and angles in this campaign (some of 'em really good), only to eventually understand that I'm 1000 miles down the wrong path because...
The Prospects Are Not Even On Facebook!
Can you comprehend how humiliated and stupid I felt for not understanding that sooner?!
That there is a slight possibility that Facebook Ads (or any social media marketing for that matter) doesn't fit your crowd because they're not on Facebook - Duh?!
I mean I kept on drinking the Facebook gurus kool-aid without even understanding what's REALLY going on... goes to show there's no one-size-fits-all template in marketing - every niche/campaign/product should be scientifically tested on its own, regardless of anyone's opinion
Had I known what I've learned since then, I would have tried other traffic sources, and that's how this ties in with practically any business -
Facebook Ads Isn't Some Magical Customer Lot And Traffic Is Rarely The Problem
I mean why even limit yourself to just one traffic medium when there are so many nowadays?
It's kinda like your stock portfolio - you want to diversify it (at least in the early stages), pick the winners and drop the losers after seeing what works.
And that's the danger of counting on marketing that depends on only one medium, let alone some dude who calls himself a digital marketer who uses Facebook Ads regardless of your niche and audience.
Understanding that a marketing strategy and fundamentals trumps all tactics
So the first thing your marketing should focus on when looking for what mediums to advertise in is -
Where's my market at?
Where does my audience congregate?
If your audience is retired senior citizens - it doesn't make much sense advertising on Facebook is there?
Sounds straight-up simple but you wouldn't believe how many "online marketing gurus" don't pay attention to these important things.
Only after considering the relevant possibilities you should check which traffic sources to test.
Shlomi Shraga is a direct response copywriter and author of "The Business Owner's Scientific Marketing Handbook". Although Shlomi rarely accepts clients he freely shares his latest marketing and copywriting secrets and tactics on his website at http://www.shlomishraga.org


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/9834538

It's very, Social Bookmarking To Generate Unique Traffic

Social Bookmarking In this article I am going to discuss how you can use social bookmarking to generate traffic to your own website. Mas...